Testing of software is imperative as a few errors and faults are inevitable. Software developed will be put to testing procedures to look for as many faults as possible to make sure that a standardized product with least number of errors is delivered. The software testing team has majorly a couple of primary responsibilities
- To recognize the defects and ensure that the software is error free
- To confirm the software would be able to successfully meet the user's requirements
To sum it up it is the key goals of the testing team are to recognize errors, non-coherent and threats related with the product and communicate the same to the development team so that all the defects discovered are taken care of and a high class product can be delivered to the client.
Testing is not a single time activity. It needs to be carried out over the entire life cycle of the software. There are several reasons for which software would need to be tested again. Any changes big or small like version upgrade, enhancement or module addition, deployment at a new client site and addition in the number of users require the software to be re-tested to make sure that it is bug free.
Why re-engineering is required?
As quoted before as the software keeps on changing there is a need for altering the software applications and products as well as they need to be re-tuned to comply to the changing requirements. As the software firms constantly attempt to meet the customers' demand they also need to make certain that the software applications are often and continuously updated to keep pace with the challenging and competitive business world. In the elementary words re-engineering could be described as renovation. For e.g. If a program is written in an old programming language this would limit its functionalities. Now, if the same program is re-written in a language more relevant in today's time it would increase the functionality.
Listed are some of the acumen why re-engineering is requisite in an organization
- Pricing - Old software systems maintenance cost is high
- Performance Issue - Improved performance of the re-engineered software acts as a huge incentive
- Operation and flexibility - New and revised software system would be more agile and effortless to use
- Data storage necessities - As the firm grows the data also grows. Increasing quantity of data create a need for the organization to revamp its existing systems and software
- Altering technology trends - It is essential for a business to stay in tune with the changing technology trends and update its software accordingly.
Re-engineering or migration can be a modest challenging as the company's information and data can get vulnerable in the process.
The business needs to come up with a solid testing strategy to ensure conformance, completeness and agreement.